My hard boiled egg plight
I have struggled for years to properly boil an egg so that it peels without sending me into WWIII over a silly little egg. The shell cracks into tiny pieces, or, in an effort to peel the shell the top layer of egg white comes off, or the whole egg breaks in half….any one of those instances causes me to throw the egg away in frustration and I start fresh. I always end up boiling a couple of extras, because an egg does, invariably, get the best of me!
I’ve tried all of these tricks and cooking methods to no avail:
- Add eggs to boiling water
- Place eggs in a single layer, cover with water and boil
- Place eggs in single layer, cover with water, boil 1 minutes, cover and remove from heat
- Add salt to the water
- Add vinegar to the water
- Peel immediately after cooking
- Refrigerate for 1 day, then peel
Nothing seems to work. I would have given up by now if I didn’t so love egg salad sandwiches.
Anyone have a tried and true method? What’s the secret to easily peeling a hard boiled egg? Help me please!